Sunday, March 25, 2012

Perfect French Fries

Again I apologize for not taking pictures of my food. Having a fun camera is still a bit new to me and the kitchen is my favorite playground which makes pulling me away from the action a little difficult sometimes.

I like french fries. I think it's safe to state that most North Americans do as well considering that if we all ate the same amount it would even out to 28 pounds per person per year.

Since they're rarely fried in animal fat anymore they don't taste as good as they used to though.

My solution to this dilemma was purely an accident, but one that nearly sent both my father and I to the hospital last summer…  please, don't EVER  cover a pot of vegetable oil while heating it on the stove!!

This works great with both white and sweet potato fries.

~~~

Step 1: was, cut and rinse your potatoes (to remove excess starch). I leave the skins on cuz I think their crunch is like a merengue dance for my taste buds!

Step 2: SOAK the cut fries in salt water for at least an hour. I sprinkled about 3 Tbsp of salt over 5-6 med/lg potatoes then added water to cover the potatoes by about an inch or two.

Step 3: Preheat oven to 425˚f

Step 4: Drain the fries and spread them out on a cookie sheet. I use a stoneware sheet or pizza stone because I like it.

Step 5: drizzle with a very small amount of olive oil (only 2-3 TEASPOONS) and mix them around to coat evenly, sprinkle with any desired seasoning. e.g. salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, parsley, etc.

Step 6: Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.

Step 7: LINE a bowl or whatever you're going to serve them from with either newsprint or paper towels.

Step 8: Eat them and enjoy their deliciousness!!!!!!!!!!

Step 9: Kiss the cook ;)


- Claire -

No comments:

Post a Comment