Friday, December 9, 2011

Best. Yeast. Rolls. Ever.

One of my favorite things about Thanksgiving and Christmas Dinner is the Yeast Rolls that my Aunt Cay makes. They are simply delightful. Aunt Cay is my Dad's only sister and is one of the most loving and thoughtful people that I know, so when she makes anything, it tastes even better knowing that it was made with love. 
Something that I didn't know about these rolls though… they're not her recipe!! 
Yeah, I know, most people don't come up with their own dough recipes, that's just a headache. 
The recipe is my Great Grandmother's! I did not have the honor of knowing her, but her name was Iva Springstun, and she was a wonderful godly woman. 
My Dad said she would make these rolls for every family gathering. Her house must have smelled SO good.
So I hope you enjoy these as much as our family has :)


Yeast Rolls


5-6 c. All-purpose Flour
2 pkgs dry Yeast (2 1/4 tsp = 1pkg.)
1/2 c. Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Salt

1 stick Butter - room temperature
1 1/2 c. hot tap Water

2 Eggs - room temperature


You'll need 2 greased 9" cake pans.


Mix together 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
Stir in butter.
Add water and mix on Med speed for 2 minutes.
Add eggs and 1 cup flour and beat for 1 minute on High.
gradually add the remaining four while mixing on Med-Low, until it forms a soft ball and doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl.
Turn onto a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes (I do 5). You can use a bread hook to knead if you want just make sure you only knead it for 2-3 minutes if using a hook.
Cover the dough with plastic wrap and a towel for 15-20 minutes.
Divide dough into 2. Then divide each portion in 2. Do this until there are 32 pieces total. 
Put 16 dough balls in each pan.
Brush tops with oil.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-48 hours. We think they're best at 24 which is great so they can be done a day ahead.
Preheat oven to 375˚F
Remove rolls from fridge 10-20 minutes before you stick them in the oven. Pop any air bubbles with an oiled toothpick for more even making (I've never had them form, but my aunt said they show up on hers sometimes).
Bake uncovered on lowest rack for 30-35 minutes. 


Simple, but not fast. They are really worth the little work that they are. 


I made a batch and put them in the freezer after they'd been in the fridge for 24 hours… I'll let you know how that turns out.

~ Claire ~

No comments:

Post a Comment