Friday, April 15, 2011

What are you cooking for dinner?

There are times for healthy recipes… but there are definitely times for the all-fat calorie loaded ones too, like the Asiago Alfredo I made the other day and re-heated for dinner. I've never made an official Alfredo sauce before and I decided to give it a try without a recipe! It was amazing though and I really wish I had written down the proportions of what went into it, but of course I didn't (grrrr on me!). 

But here's my best guess :)
I know that I put a stick of butter, about 1/2 - 3/4c. of flour, 5-6c. raw milk (with the cream mixed in), about 1/2c. of shredded Asiago cheese, 1c. plain yogurt, 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar, dried parsley, salt, black pepper, and freshly ground nutmeg (one of my new cooking kicks).

I basically melted the butter and added about half the milk then whisked in the flour. I then added the rest of milk and SLOWLY added the cheese and vinegar, whisking vigorously so that it wouldn't end up stuck to the bottom of the saucepan, then added the yogurt. 
The salt, pepper, parsley and nutmeg were to taste… but I think I put in about 1-1 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1/2-1 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and about 1 Tbsp. parsley.

Now for the good part: I served it over baked, breaded chicken breasts and pasta, with asparagus on the side. It wasn't just any breaded chicken though, it was rosemary and rye.

I made my bread crumbs by toasting a few pieces of Deli Rye bread and pulverizing them with more dried parsley and some (dried) rosemary. 

To bread the chicken I "dried" the breasts with paper towels than dredged them in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper (you could throw some parsley and or rosemary if you wanted some extra oomph!), then in slightly beaten eggs, and finally in the rye bread crumbs that I made. 

All was baked for 25-30 minutes in a 375˚f oven.

Well, now that I've made you all hungry, I'm going to go work off the alfredo sauce…

Bon Appetite!

~ Claire ~

No comments:

Post a Comment