Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake

This is one of my favorite Cheesecakes! I drain and puree low-fat cottage cheese to substitute for half of the cream cheese and that is how I have written the recipe. You can use all cream cheese if you want to, but make sure you bake it at 325˚F and only for 1 hour if you do as the substitutes take longer for some reason. 

The last time I made this was for my niece's birthday party and I used chocolate graham crackers and layered the batter so that it looked like a great big Oreo or ice cream sandwich. I then topped it with fruit and whipped cream. It was really yummy!

When I am in a pinch for time getting it into the oven I set the cream cheese packages on the stove as it is warming up while I make the crust. I also strain my cottage cheese in 1/2 - 1 c. portions using a large sieve or strainer (with VERY small holes) placed over a bowl and mix it with a slotted spoon so that the excess liquid goes through, then I puree the cheese. The drained liquid is very good in smoothies or as the base for a healthier ranch dressing.

I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does!
~ Claire ~

Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake
Preheat oven to 350˚F

8 graham crackers (chocolate, cinnamon or regular) – crushed
1/3 c. melted butter

Mix together and press into the bottom of a 9” spring-form pan.

Place spring-form pan onto a double-layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. (You will need approximately 16 in squares.) Securely wrap foil up sides of pan.
Place spring-form pan in a large baking pan.



2 8-oz packages cream cheese (softened)
2 c. pureed cottage cheese (remove any excess liquid before pureeing).
1 ½ c. sugar
¼ Tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ c. all-purpose flour
4 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. semisweet chocolate chips – melted according to package instructions
2 c. white chocolate chips – melted according to package instructions

Beat cream cheese, cottage cheese, sugar, cinnamon and flour until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low until just combined. Stir in vanilla. Divide batter in half.
Melt the chocolates right before you are ready to add them to the batter and add it slowly so that you can mix it well.
Stir one of the melted chocolates into first portion and pour over crust.
Stir the other melted chocolate into remaining batter and drop by spoonfuls over first chocolate layer. 
Marble chocolate by swirling a knife or toothpick through the different colors until desired effect is achieved. 
Add about 1 in of water to the baking pan.
Bake for 75-85 min or until center is just set and top appears dull.
Remove spring form pan from water bath and cool on a wire rack for 10 min.
Carefully run knife along sides of pan to loosen edges but don’t remove sides until completely cool.
Cool one hour then refrigerate overnight.

I like to top this one with freshly whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Yield: 16 servings

Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment